Monday, March 31, 2014

Cho Chang + Neville Longbottom


I've wanted to be Cho Chang since she first appeared in the Harry Potter books when I was 9.
While Cho has been criticized as being an extremely problematic character, I see a lot of myself in her. In her school years, she has a lot going for her, she's a seeker for her quidditch team (and the only girl on said team), she dates seriously every one of the cutest boys at Hogwarts. However, she's also one of the only characters, other than maybe Neville, who we see goes through very real grief throughout the books. Because, you know, when the forces of pure evil are constantly trying to murder your boyfriends, teachers and friends, you'd be pretty upset about it too. I love that Cho is a complete bummer most of the time, because when you're one of the only kids "like you" in school, you cry a bunch. 

This costume was super easy and comfortable, because I dress like a Hogwarts student most of the time anyway. Most of these pieces were already in my closet, and I thrifted the rest. I picked up this replica of Cho's wand from Hayes Replicas on Etsy, which is beautiful and very good quality.

By my side was Neville Longbottom, cosplayed by Scott! Scott is a dead-ringer for Matthew Lewis (evidence here), who plays Neville in the movies, so this costume was a natural fit. We thrifted his tie and sweater, and picked up a beautiful wooden replica of Neville's Wand at ECCC.

More photos AND BONUS VIDEOS OF REAL MAGIC after the jump:
Neville being Neville. Cho being the Fonz.


Neville loves his herbology.



 


1 comment: