Monday, April 1, 2013

Repost: Cosplay Heroine



So, Internet, I have a new hobby. It's dressing up like fictional characters and going out in public. It's addictive. Like heroine. Get it?

Woah woah woah. I know. It's cool though, trust me.

When I started working on Know Your Meme, I found myself building a lot of props and costumes, and having a really good time doing it. The same went for my two halloween costumes and dressing up for  our Gritty Reboot of Harvest Moon, plus, my sister Emily cosplays. So when Emerald City Comic Con rolled around, Molly McIsaac told me I should dress up. And I didn't need much convincing, but I was terrified, because this was my first time cosplaying at a convention.

I ended up with two costumes, X Men's Shadowcat/Kitty Pryde and Dr. Krieger's Virtual Girlfriend from Archer. Making Assembling the costumes was stressful and rushed and terrible and I burned myself on hot glue, and THEN I WAS TERRIFIED TO WEAR THEM. But I did.
On Saturday I wore Shadowcat, and met up with a whole bunch of other X Men. Being part of a big group was a great way to test the waters, and I had tons of fun running around the convention like a super hero. Or walking. Because my boots were a bit tight.

On Sunday, Forest Gibson and I were Dr. Krieger and his girlfriend. And woah. I did not expect the attention we received in those costumes. We were stopped for photos all day, worked a "step and repeat" for the first time ever, and watched people (including other amazing cosplayers) lose their shit when they saw us. Then, we were posted to Reddit and proceeded to get 17k up votes, and we still keep discovering new photos of the two of us on tumblr. It was insane.





My new friend, artist Dean Tripp
even drew me in my Shadowcat costume! Awesome!



Thanks everyone for the great photos, especially Molly and Vince, and for being so sweet my first time out. I'm addicted to costuming and I will be dressing up again very, very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment